Friday 17 September 2010

I Can't Get My Head Around This One...

Someone recently mentioned that we are to celebrate soon in the UK (apparently it was a couple of weeks ago in the US...so we are not 10 years behind..) the event 'Back to Church Sunday'. I choked.

Google is so useful. I discovered that the CofE, Baptist and Methodist denominations jointly sponsor this event in an attempt to get people to attend a church service near their home, perhaps for the first time ever, or for the first time for a long time. Sometimes I just cannot believe what I hear and read. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it sounds.

How can you 'go back to church'? You are either in it, or not. The Church is a people who have been gathered together in His Name. Sure, you can opt out. And sure, a decision is made on joining. But you don't 'go' anywhere. So you can't 'leave' anywhere. So you can't 'go back' anywhere!

When are we going to see that we don't 'go to church'? Ever. We 'are' church. Always.

What a difference it will make. Instead of 2 or 3 hours a week. 24/7. 52.

No comments:

Post a Comment