Thursday 21 January 2010

Leadered or Led?

Here we go. First attempt....I just hope it works!

I made an interesting discovery the other day. As far as I can see there is no mention of the word 'leader' in the New Testament. If you don't find this astonishing, then you needn't read any further, you are obviously too bright for me.

Now I can't remember how many leader's meetings I've been to. How many leadership conferences I've attended. How many leaders I've met. How many hours I've spent being instructed by successful leaders on how to be a better leader. And how much time I've devoted as a leader to exhorting others to be better leaders. Countless. And right now, I'm wondering why.

The New Testament seems to suggest that we are 'led by the Holy Spirit'. Each believing, discipled follower of Jesus has the Holy Spirit. He leads us. Simples.

Now there are 'Ministries' - Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors, Teachers - and more if you care to investigate. But there is no mention of leaders. These men (and/or women if that is your persuasion) are there to confirm where necessary that leading of the Spirit, to interpret where necessary that leading of the Holy Spirit and to apply that leading into the local church and 'trans church' where appropriate.

Do you think I am splitting hairs? It's all about semantics, people say. But words matter. And if the Holy Spirit wanted to delegate leadership to men/women I think it would be plain in Scripture - and it's not, in my view at all. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment