Monday 24 May 2010

Suffering - on a Hot Day...

Our 'Sunday Service' yesterday morning was devoted to the subject 'Why does God Allow Suffering' and we were presented with a series of UTube-like visuals and Cartoon film clips, and a talk which was designed to help us come to terms with this question.

I sat and pondered. As I do. And on the way home I talked over my ponderings with the boss. I admitted to her that I had never, ever, in my life asked the question 'Why Does God Allow Suffering?' and therefore was there something wrong with me? She, of course, said that there was, but this issue was not particularly it. I could not believe that people should ask such an impertinent question. In my view, we are lucky toget away with the little suffering we do endure......

So last night, I left the family BBQ and wet downtown to see an openair conducted by some followers of Jesus who want to reach out a bit to people they would not normally contact. A lovely evening and I sat on a wall and listened as men stood up in turn and gave public announcement of their faith. A bit dated in language and style, but bless 'em they made an effort.

During one of the talks a big and rather drunken man shouted out that he had lost an 8 year old son recently and 'where was God in that, then?' Some of the guys there talked with him, and he calmed down. My heart went out to him. I choked back tears. He had no understanding of God at all, no sense of the love of God, no idea of the relationship that he could have with a loving Heavenly Father. He went lurching on his way. I pray he finds peace..

So there is suffering, there is hurt, and people do ask that question....May God be merciful and reveal His purposes to us....

Great BBQ! Good food and fellowship with lovely people. My family!

No comments:

Post a Comment