Tuesday 2 February 2010

'It's Different, Now, Isn't It?'

I was chatting with a pastor's wife the other week. A lovely, sincere, gifted lady. We were talking about the 'business' of church life and she made a comment. 'Of course, being a pastor now is very different to how it used to be'. Prompted by my inquisitive eyebrows, she explained. Apparently, these days, there is so much more that occupies a pastor's time. He has a building to run, forms to fill in, staff to employ, motivate, instruct, counsel - even sack. Meetings to plan, powerpoint to create, finances to oversee, vehicles to buy, etc. (Some of these I've added - but you get the gist. It would seem that slowly, perhaps inperceptibly, the Godly Biblical ministry of being a pastor has shifted to being a kind of CEO or managing director of a company.

I wondered whether this had something to do with my previous posts in as much as this is what happens when a ministry becomes a leadership. I think there is a connection and I think something needs to happen to correct this alarming trend. The spiritually impoverished nature of most churchgoers is a sad result of a downgrading of ministry in the local church and the spoonfeeding that christians expect from the 'guys they pay to do a job'. Very, very sad.

What can we do? I'm going to give it some thought, and if you in any way agree with what I've said above - may I ask you do too? Perhaps we can compare notes later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment